Home network problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottyy360

Solid State Member
Hello everyone!

Ok IÂ’m having some networking problems I own a WCG200 ver.2 Linksys modem router combo. Well I bought this modem/router because I did have a linksys router and modem (there own devices not a combo) and I was having the problem of, when I would turn on my pc it wouldnÂ’t always connect to the internet and sometimes it wouldnÂ’t connect to the network (the other pcÂ’s on the network also had the same problem) well I would restart the router and some times it took a couple resets for it to finally kick and my pc would catch the network (not sure of the proper term). So I tried a few things I found out that my nic card set my pcÂ’s IP at 192.168.2.22 or such and when my pc would catch the network the router forced my IP to 192.168.0.100. So I tried setting a static IP (on my local machine) and found that didnÂ’t clear my problem at all. So I turned off the static IP and found that it would change the forced IP to my pc from time to time. Form .100 - .101. (when I was able to communicate with the router)
So now with my combo IÂ’m getting the same problem on the network the computers are having trouble connecting to the network and getting a signal from the router (my network is all wired no wireless is being used). Tried once again to set a local static IP on my machine no luck. IÂ’m really starting to wonder if itÂ’s because of my cable company I do know that they change IPÂ’s all the time at least every day. Can anyone help me out here if you canÂ’t make sense or if I didnÂ’t describe anything well enough please let me know IÂ’ll be glad to fill in any gray area, but IÂ’ve read all the guides and all and it hasnÂ’t helped you folks are my last resort please help me.

P.S. there is no firmware updates available for the combo and was none for my other router or modem. Oh and yes when I did set the static IP I used all the information given to me by ipconfig/all when I was able to connect to the network.

Thank you very much.

what did you do to configure your machines network settings?

you changed the router, but you kept the same nic. it seems the problem is the nic, config, or cable.

checked all cables its not the nic cards because it does it to all the machines. You can connect two pcs with just a simple hub and they can comunicate just fine so its not the nic cards and the router shows that there communicating cuz the led is on. No configuration just default factory settings and it still wont connect right all the time.

Change the default ip address to 10.20.30.1 for the router. Once complete, go to each PC and assign a static address. For PC #1 set it to 10.20.30.2 and the default gateway to 10.20.30.1. Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. Set next machine to 10.20.30.3 etc...

Please post results.

thank you very much, so far so good i'm going to give it a day or two just to make sure its actually going to keep working then i'll report back in again.

Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom