Home Network/Media Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennoe55

Beta member
have a number of questions about setting up a media centre at home. I have a house that has been pretty well wired for entertainment and other uses. All the bedrooms/study have phone, ethernet and coaxial cable access. The lounge and family room have cable and phone access only. The “server” computer is in the study and has a DVD player and digital TV tuner. We have cable broadband, but no cable TV feed. I am looking at installing a media centre in the house, preferably using existing computers and wiring. From my research, it appears there are two possible options.

Option one is to set up a dedicated media centre computer in the family room. This appears fairly straight forward, at least in terms of TV coverage and DVDs. Clearly it involves an extra cost that I would prefer to avoid.

Option two would use the “server” as the media centre. As there is no ethernet port, this would involve using the coaxial cables. Is this possible? And, if so, what would I need to do to make it work? I have read a number of articles that seem to suggest it can be done, but am still confused.

If I go with Option one and given we have a cable modem could I connect the media centre to the internet via the coaxial cable and stream media this way? Alternatively, if Option two is a goer, could I stream media to the TVs from the server?

Cheers

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom