home network fast ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you give settings for nic cards. I do not get these speeds and would like to know how i might be able to

Is this fast ethernet or gigabyte ethernet?

I could be wrong corrosive, i'm just going off what i've experienced. I could have things configured wrong too. I've never really achived anything above 40 megabytes per second transfer speeds. Sometimes it bursts higher but the average is around 35 megabytes per second.

Thanks for all the help

So if i use gigabyte switch and hook up nic gigabyte computers to switch router to switch my lan should be gigabyte speed right and access wan via fast ethernet router ???

If you wish you can do this, as long as you set all your Gigabit equipment on a Gigabit switch it will work at gigabit speeds, but anything connecting over wireless or from a 100mbps only device will still operate incredibly slowly.

Also Cat5e will suffice for gigabit in most homes, STP would be more helpful. You just need to make sure the runs aren't very long, and that all wires are used in the cables, since Gigabit needs all 8 wires where as 100mbps only needed 4 to operate. (I still see a lot of "cat5e" cables being sold with ONLY TWO twisted pairs.)

BUT, if your only transferring at 2-3 megabytes (not megabits) per second, then something else is bogging you down, and it doesn't appear to be your network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom