Home Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogerio

In Runtime
Hi, i have 2 dell laptop, and i add boths to my network place, when i open my network place i see both laptops and my desktop, and i can open files from just one of the laptops and one give this message:

....is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this serve to find out if you have access permissions.

i tried everything, maybe not everything. Both laptops have Mcafee.

Thank you...please i realyy need help with that...

On the computer that you are trying to access, go to the directory that you are trying to access, and right click it and go to properties, go to the sharing tab and see if you have both, "Share this folder on the network" and "allow network users to change my files" checked, if not check them both. It might ask you if you want to apply the attributes to all subfolders and files. click ok or yes. if that dont solve your problem. tell me.

Are these computers running XP Home or Pro, and which one is running which if it's a mix? XP Home are easier, but sometime XP Pro have more advanced feature that needs to be disable that might be enable during an update to protect your OS so that's why I ask.

For home, you need to atleast be sharing 1 folder so you don't get that access denied, there isn't much you can do for NTFS permission. If you were to boot into safemode and look at the properties>security tab of the shared folder, it'll list the "Everyone" group I believe, but this doesn't apply much to file sharing over the network.

Also, I believe someone had the same issue, but it was much more complex way of fixing it on a XP Home. You can check this thread out. Sort of a long read but I'm thinking it's one of the solution in there that should help you.

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=120398&highlight=Guest

You need to make sure sure you have both accounts on both computers. For example, your login on Computer A is bob, your login on computer B is Tom. You need to have an account for Bob and Tom on both computer A & B. It's silly, but that is how work groups function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom