Home LAN Without Cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenfoot

In Runtime
Hi, my younger brother and I are interested in playing Warcraft III together on a Home LAN. The thing is, our computers are in separate rooms and the cable doesn't reach long enough to connect both our comps. Is there a way to connect by wireless in this instance?:

My brother has a direct connection to a Netgear router, which connects to the modem. I use a wireless card and connect to the router.

Thanks for helping.

Well you could get a wireless access point to connect to your router, or get a wireless router. You could buy a longer cable (recommended), wireless connection are unreliable at time, you don't want to be playing games on it.

Sounds like you don't have to by anything , You already have a wireless router if connect to it via wireless card.

Along cable may help boost your speed but if your getting a good connection I don't see a problem. as I have never had a problem playing anything wirelessly.

As long as you are both in the same subnet, all you should have to do is set up the game... From the sounds of it, like Chimera said, you shouldn't have to make any changes as long as you both can ping the router...

Your brother will need a wireless card to connect to the wireless router. You can get an internal card or an external USB wireless device.

^^ That is not correct.... He stated that his brother's PC is already directly connected to the router, and his PC is connected via wireless. He doesn't have to get any additional hardware.

As long as both PC's are in the same subnet (which they should be), there won't be any problems....

won't network names matter here ? or is that just for home networking ? gaming connection VIA tcp/ip is only subnet ?

but yes no other purchase required

The computers only have to be in the same domains for file sharing or ICS... My brother and I are in different domains, and can play C&C generals together on the LAN... mine is wired, his is wireless....

You just have to make sure they are in the same subnet. This goes for EVERYTHING... if they are NOT in the same subnet, IT WILL NOT WORK.

Thanks for the responses guys. I see that I don't need to purchase any additional hardware. Do we need to do anything to start playing together on LAN?

lol... old post revival...

No, you SHOULD be all set to go, unless WC3 uses IPX network protocols for LAN games... You MIGHT have to enable IPX protocol's on both computers. I know that StarCraft and Brood Wars use IPX, but I am not sure about WC3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom