High Speed - WoOt! Wireless...problem...kind of!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vormund

Daemon Poster
I must say *hurray*...after a lifetime (up to this point, anyway), an alternative to dial-up has arrived! DSl...(of course, not the best, but this is a huge step up)!

Now that is over...

Curious if anyone knows why...

I just set up the wireless network, and the two computers are ~100' away from eachother, indoors, with three walls between (and not much else). The computer connecting to the router will connect--at signal strength of 60-70%, which should be more than enough over the g network for the DSL. However, when it connects...it gets a max download speed of 5-10 KB/s, and after a few minutes, it will drop completely.

The only thing I can figure is the cheap wireless card in the PC, "ConnectGear", given by a friend. Hoping it might be something else--please tell me what you think...

TIA,
-Xula

Well there is a weak signal because of the distance and the walls that it has to go thru, that stuff can greatly reduce signal strength. I know that by doing a search there are many ways that for mabye $1, you can rig up some cheap homemade signal strengthener and it should boot it up a little.

Increase your Beacon interval for the wireless router.
Increase the TTL for packets on your machines.

The home-built signal stuff sounds fun/easy (Googlin' lol)...have to try that.

Increase TTL packets/Beacon interval? I assume the beacon interval would be on the router config somewhere, but the TTL packets...where would that be?

thanks both!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom