Help with VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogo76

Solid State Member
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone out there might be able to help me out.

I got a question on whether Netgear FVS318v3 would work well with DI-824VUP+.

I have been trying to set up a VPN connection between home and office. At home, i have the FVS318v3 VPN router box attached to network whereas at the office, DI-824VUP is used for VPN connection.

And so far, i haven't had any luck in getting the connection to work.

Just wonder if there is anyone who actually have tried this or had the same experience before.

A great help is appreciated.

Thanks

If the VPN server is behind a router, Port Mapping will need to be done on the router. Standard port usage is 1723 for PPTP. You might also need to configure your router for PPTP Passthrough. Port usage for IPSec is 500, 50-51. These ports will have to be forwarded to the VPN server's IP

Hi, CSamuels

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I understand the fact that the Port forwading is required for this case. However, initially, i just had no clues of what port numbers i should use to do this forwading.
Thank you for telling me the port number. But, if this is for ADSL Broadband connection, can i still use the advisable ports for PPPoE type of connection.

Also, another thing is that i was told to use the DMZ if i don't know a specific port to forward to the VPN router from the ADSL modem router. I was told that if i enabled the DMZ and set it the IP addr of VPN router and that would mean that we practically open up all the ports for external access. Is that true?

Nevertheless, i have already enabled the DMZ and its IP addr was set too but still didn't work. By that i meant that the VPN connection from both ends was established. Everything seemed to be working. I can tell that by looking into the log file from both ends. No problem at all. But wierdly, i could not access to a PC from either ends. I have already made sure that the NETBIOS is turned on for both.

(shaking head) i run out of ideas. Could you please help me out?

Thank you very much in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom