Help setting up a wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonti

Beta member
I'm a bit of a noob and I need some help setting up a wireless network in our home.

We have a primary desktop computer connected to broadband internet through a Billion ADSL modem/router, running Windows 2000. The modem/router is connected to the computer via a USB cable, and there is an empty LAN port.

We also have two laptops. One is running Windows XP and I use it at school, on a network.
The other is running Windows 98 SE, and used to run on a network at mum's work, but now its had its LAN card removed.

We require a network to share files, the internet connection and the printer installed on the primary computer. We have a two story house, with one brick wall on the inside, the rest of the walls are plaster and wood. Wired networking is not an option.

I have had at look at the D-Link 802.11g products and it looks like this is the way to go.

What do I need to do and buy to set this all up?

Any help would be much appreciated and please try to keep it as simple as possible :p

I'd suggest looking at 3 wireless access points.

One connected to the LAN port on the router, the other 2 where the laptops would be most likely placed.

Assuming the router/modem is connected to the desktop machine, then this is already on the network.

Add a wireless access point to the router, and the signal for the laptops will be broadcast.

Adding either a USB or PCMCIA wireless adapter to the laptops would likely pick up the network connection from the router.

As for brand/make/model, I will leave this up to others to advise. But I think this is the most obvious solution to your dilemma.

Once all is connected look at securing the network. There are a bunch of resources on the net for securing your network.

I hope this helps, as a brief answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom