Help picking out a Network!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomicGS9

Solid State Member
My father has 3 computers in his office but right now i have just a work group set up with simple file sharing for each computer. I have norton 360 installed on all the systems and use that for backing up each system weekly. It's getting very annoying backing them up every week with Norton and i want something new. Im looking to implement a simple network with a small server and some backup software/hardware. with only 3 computers in the office can anyone give me some good ideas of a good (small) server, server software, backup hardware/software, to advance this simple file sharing work group i have setup at the moment??

Does nobody have any recommendations for a smaller server to handle 4 users??

No need to double post. We will help you when we can. Not everyone has Networking and Server experience.

Well a Small Server can just be a desktop PC used for Server purposes. This depends on your NEEDS.

Server software is the same thing. There is Windows Server then there are countless Linux Distros used for Server purposes as well.

Backup software depends on which type of Server you go with. Windows or Linux. There is also OS X based Servers.

So when you figure out what kind of setup you want and you let us know we can further help you along. Thank you.

That would be perfect. There shouldnt be too much compatibility with a Windows Server and a Windows OS. The hardest part might be getting them working like you ahve now. Which can be done not that hard actually.

Then comes in do you want roaming profiels or localized profiles? Where the profile is stored on teh Server for the users to just go to any PC and login and be able to have their profile. Or just leave it on the PC they have it on now.

As for backup there are several options. Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost. True Image can make a image and do weekly updates to that image. There is also a built in backup for Vista. Can go thru OneCare or find some backup software on the net.

I like how you think. Im glad i joined this forum and the moderator can talk to me w/ business action. You think like me. I am thinking server 03 is the good choice with the 5 users i dont think expansion will be a big factor in this. I'm thinking i will set them up one user as the Administrator and the other two users as standard users within a centralized group not a roaming group. I do NOT want to set up a VPN network through this gateway. I only want Internet and EMAIL to be functional through the office's Wired network.

That will be easily accomplished with Server 2003. I have not had much experience with Server 2008 and it was very easy to setup the things you mentioned.

Thanks for the compliment. :D

I try my best to help out. That is all i can say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom