Help with connecting two PC's Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

slavisa

Beta member
Hi,

I have earthlink cable internet and i'm trying to hook both of my computers online. I have tried using Linksys router and also a Netgear Switch, both of them failed to give both computers online access.

With the Linksys Router Model BEFSR41 ver.2 i pluged the cable from modem to WAN, then i plugged the cables from the router to each of my computers. On first computer my ip becomes 192.168.1.100 and on the second one is the same but the last number is 101. When i check the connection status it says that the ip has been given by DHCP, but when i try to access the internet i cant from either computer. If anyone can help me solve this or has any ideas that i can try, even setting up the router differently please let me know and i will try them.

and with the Netgear switch, i connect all the cables etc. and then i get a connection on one computer like 23.xx.xxx.xx and the other one doesnt get any connection. Idk what i can do with this.

any other help would be much appreciated.
thanks
slavisa

If you arent familiar with the login process for each router, you should do that. I am sure that they are something like 192.168.1.10 or something and then you enter your user name and password and stuff and then it lets you get to all of the juicy stuff.

You should be able to go over to the connection tab or something, I forgot, because I am not on my system that has the linksys router, but you should be able to see if the router is actually getting an ip address from the service provider.

Check on that and see if you get something, or is it just a bunch of 0.0.0.0 or something

Normally doing a DHCP release and renew will fix connectivity problems like yours. I would like to hear back from you as soon as you try that and hopefully you will have more information so that we will be able to help you further.

You might want to turn the DCHP off and then give the ip address to each computer mannuly.

amar1089 said:
You might want to turn the DCHP off and then give the ip address to each computer mannuly.

No he doesn't have to.

The solution is to do what str8lazy said, you can find the information in the WAN tab. If it's not getting an IP address the solution is to unplug and plug the modem and router almost at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom