Help Connecting New Computer to Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

erthos

Beta member
Hello, I just recently got a new computer. I'm trying to connect it to the internet by plugging it to an ethernet port in the back of my wireless router. The wireless router acts as a hub for the other computers, and I am typing from one that is plugged into it. The wireless router is plugged into my cable modem for internet.

Cable Modem - Motorola SB5100 Surfboard Cable Modem

Router - Linksys Wireless-G

Open a command prompt and type (without the quotes) "ipconfig /all" and hit enter to see if you get an IP address. If it is all zeros or is 169.xxx.xxx.xxx then you have a possible configuration issue. If it has a similar IP address to your other computers then we go a different direction. Right click your network connection and select properties. Then scroll down to TCP/IP and double click it. Be sure that it is set to automatically get IP address and DNS information. Also righ click my computer, select manage. Double click services and applications, then services. Scroll to DHCP client and see if it is set to sutomatic and that it is started. Be sure your firewall isn't blocking you and be sure you have enough IP addresses allocated for your network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom