Help: Cannot Connect to Certain Domains From Entire Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

moboost4u

Beta member
Hey guys, this is my first post but ive lurked around a little before I was a member and I like what this community seems to offer. Im also kind of a noob so pardon my lack of understanding.

Also please read the whole thing because ive already attempted most of the suggested fixes I could find based on other peoples experiences.

So I was looking to get into online poker for the first time a few days ago but every time I got to download im halted because I dont have an up to date version of Microsoft.NET. It also wont download it from that install so I try going to microsofts website, but with no luck. I read around and it seemed possible that its a malware issue and thats when I found out I cant connect to most malware removal product sites either.

I finally got adaware and spybot on to my laptop but after full system scans still had no luck.

I searched around and found people with similar problems and tried to address them:

I have tried Microsoft Corporation to get to the site, FlushDNS, IPconfig, resetting the router all with no luck.

Its when I reset the router when I realized I actually cant access these sites from ANY of the computers on my network which includes 3 laptops and the host computer.

What is even more strange is when I took the main laptop I use to school to try it out, I still could not connect to any microsoft.com related sites.

The only luck I do have connecting to the site is through a proxy server but I still cant download anything through them so this is not very helpful.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this problem as I would really like to get this taken care of before I need an update from ms and cant get it. Thanks so much and sorry for the long winded post,

Josh

Lets get to some of the basics before we jump to the big issue.

What OS (or OS's) are you using? Also have you tried using a direct connection to your laptop/computer to see if you can connect to the domains?

Im running XP and the Host computer is running directly connected to the modem and still cant access the sites.

Hmm, can you go Spyware Asylum.
Select your OS and run a full scan.
Then post your logs on the Spyware forum.

If your getting any errors with ComboFix, do as follows.
Download the latest database for MBAM. Get Combofix and make sure that it updated. Go into Safe Mode without Networking. Run the 2 scanners. Go back into normal mode and see if it still happens. If so run HiJack This 2.0.4 and post its log.

Reason for posting the logs is that someone experienced can analyze and review it in case something was missed or wasn't detected, you can manually remove if necessary.

Well that sucks lol, most I can tell you at this moment is see if you can get access to a free PC which you can visit the site and get the necessary tools.

It might be the an infection which causes change in your host file which blocks access to IPs listed. Just to verify if it is that, you said you're running Windows XP. Can you head over to:
"C:\windows\system32\ drivers\etc\"

Without the quotes of course, and look for a file named "hosts". Then open notepad and drag the file into it. Then can you paste the contents of the file here? It should look similar to the following:

Code:
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.

# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.

# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each

# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should

# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.

# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one

# space.

# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual

# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.

# For example:

# Permit this.

127.0.0.1       localhost

Thanks for hangin with me here joelm... heres what it looks like

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
# Start of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy
127.0.0.1 007guard.com - 007guard and Free Antivirus
127.0.0.1 007guard.com

And that list goes on for thousands of domains but the text is too large to post in here but i can if you need it.

It then ends with

# This list is Copyright 2000-2008 Safer Networking Limited
# End of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy

Okie so it's not an edited host file that's causing yours problems, that's 1 thing out of the way lol. To sum everything up:
  • You cannot access certain domains on ANY pc
  • You cannot access said domains even when only connected to your modem

I'm kinda out of suggestions at the moment...if it's your modem, then most likely it's your ISP since it was distributed to by them. Have there been any sudden changes except not accessing domains?

Reason I said your ISP is because problem still consists when directly connected to your modem (not through a router or any other device).

Also this suggestion I said is still up for taking as well just as a precaution.
Well that sucks lol, most I can tell you at this moment is see if you can get access to a free PC which you can visit the site and get the necessary tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom