Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus

Daemon Poster
Ok I'm not a genius in the networking area of computers but...my brother and I just tried to establish a 2 computer wired network. We both had ethernet cards and we used a RJ-45 cable to connect them. When we booted up, nothing happened. My guess is that we need a router or switch box or something. What DO we need or need to do?

Are you looking to go on the Internet with both computers at once? If so, you'll need to get a router, and a broadband Internet connection would help. You'll also need one RJ-45 cable for each computer you want to connect to the network, or you can choose to use a wireless adapter. Let me know exactly what it is you plan on doing with the network.

If you don't want to buy the router, it is possible to connect the two computers directly to each other. You'll have to buy a crossover cable. If you're trying to share an internet connection, you'll then need a second ethernet card on one of the computers. This second ethernet card will need the RJ-45 cable to connect to your modem. You then run Internet Connection Sharing.

I don't recommend this method, because for the second computer in line to get to the internet, the first one has to be on as well.

no, u can't connect a rj-45 cable to 2 comp without going through a switch i beleive. They dont cost that much.

Thanks. I managed to figure it out. I had to do the Network Wizard on XP. So I do it, and I save the little patch thing for the other computers to be on the network on a floppy like it tells...I insert the floppy into my computer and what happens...error readings. Oh well, I guess that my PII LAME computer can't support even a simple little network...no matter. gonna build a new one here shortly.

get yerself a crossover cable or better yet make your own. Its much cheaper. then hook your two nics up and set your tcp/ip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom