Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ankush09

Daemon Poster
Help! I have 2 computers in my house... The router and modems are in the computer in the basement. I have a network cable going from my basement to my room. In my room i have the other computer and when i connect the wire which comes from the basement into my room, the internet still dosen't work on the computer in my room. On the router... All lights are solid and the network cable connection is noticed. I had the wire tested and it came out fine. Internet on the computer in my basement works, but not on the other computer. What could be the problem?

I had this same problem, and I was so damn frusterated on why it won't work. Solution: One of the ports on my router was faulty. Try switching around the cables to different ports.

Tried that..... my ethernet wire is going through the walls of my house....it comes out of the electricl panel in the basement....could it be the problem that it is touching an electrical wire?

Hey Ankush09,

I don't think the cat5 cable touching the electrical wire
will effect it's performance. I found a whitepaper discussing
The Effects of EFT Disturbances on Fast Ethernet Performance
this stated that Qoute "Previous research conducted by The Wiremold Company and others concluded that 10BASE-T (10 Mbps) Ethernet performance was not affected by locating power wiring and unshielded twisted pair (UTP) data cabling in the same raceway." The link is here http://www.wiremold.com/www/commercial/education/white_papers/index.asp?wpid=11

You said the internet doesn't work on the computer in the
upstairs room but are you getting an IP address from the
Router? If not make sure the NIC is set to optain an IP
address automatically.

Good Luck.

I had taken my comp upstairs and use a different ethernet wire, and internet worked on both comps.... after i used this wire it didnt work..... i tested the wire and it showed it worked. That's why im really confused.

I think i figure out the problem though.......My netowkr cable was going beside a electro-magnetic wire and that might have messed up the network cable because when i took the network cable awayfrom the electro-magnetic wire it was still not working.

Make sure you have the CAT5 cable wired correctly if you bought it yourself (this is the correct wiring guide, but look at "straight through" not "crossover")
And if you bought the cable, make sure its not a crossover. You can usually tell by holding the connecters at each end with the pins facing away from you, and if the wiring colour is in the same order then the cable is a straight through cable.

A crossover cable allows you to connect 2 pcs together without a router/switch/hub but when you connect a crossover cable from a pc to a hub, it will not work. (because the 2 send lines from your NIC in your pc are crossed over into the 2 send lines on your router/switch/hub so there will only be data sent (from both devices) but none recieved (because the data has nowhere to go)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom