having issues with comcast internets need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
moved to a new house
the guy came in and checked the cable downstairs and hooked up basic channels, i opted for self install of the internetz since i had it for last 6-7 years.
i used same modem this whole time(sb5120) has been working great.
no problems with connection

as soon as i move here it is not working anymore.

of course comcast blames modem and tries to sell me their rental alternative( for the 3rd time) every time i call with connection issues their first suggestion is to sell me the modem. only to find out that its their **** that was broken all 3 times.

this time i beive the cables are a bit old in the house, we splitting with neighbours as well.

tv works fine but my downstream power level is at -15 and does not change.

all other numbers are within specs.

it worked randomly for about a week and then stopped connecting alltogether,
the send light just blinks and nothing hapends.

can it be my modem thats bad or if the signal level shows the condition of the cables in the house?

Hi,
A flashing send light does indicate a signal issue. Comcast knows this.
The Downstream power level should be between -15 and +15, closer to zero the better, so its boarderline. Also check the signal to noise ratio and the upstream power level. The signal to noise ratio should be 25 or greater, and the upstream power level should be between 30 and 50. So yea your most likely right, its the cabling in the house causing the issue.

i checked today and its actually -16
all the rest of the numbers are within specs.
also looked at the splitter and it seems like the cable that goes to the house is super old.
its one cable split between 2 houses( duplex) and 3 way splitter 2 goes to my neighbours and one goes to our side.

comcast is useless as always, spent last 45 minutes chatting with a complete idiot that kept sending me the faq and asking me to power cycle the modem when i ve been doing that for the whole week.

finally made a trouble call to send a tech to look at it and now im sure they try to charge me for something.

last time the tech said himself that they done some work on the network in the neighborhood and people were having issues with connection but still tried to charge me for it.

so this time probably wont be any different.

the cable that goes to the house from the comcast distribution block.

is that comcast property or is it responsibility of the house owner to maintain it?

That depends. If they burried the wire like they are supposed to, then it will be the home owners responsibility if damage comes to it. Despite a natural disaster like I had here a few years ago when a High Voltage line fell and burned everything up outside.

If they left it out, it will be their responsibility.

The wires in the house were up to code when the house was built. They dont have to upgrade them constantly. So yeah you could have cross talk and signal interference. If that is the case, it will be on you to replace them if you want. If the house passes inspection, the home owner doesnt have to do anything to the internal wiring.

So there is no way to know who is going to be to blame. Cause they will all point the finger at each other and in the end, if you want the service, you have to pay to get it to how you want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom