The Grid: Superfast Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
"It has already been used to help design new drugs against malaria, the mosquito-borne disease that kills 1m people worldwide each year. Researchers used the grid to analyse 140m compounds - a task that would have taken a standard internet-linked PC 420 years."

That's "Freakin" insane. I hope this comes out soon :D

Does anyone remember hearing about the super fast HP Wireless technology that was in the works some years ago? I don't remember the name of that (sorry...) but this sounds a lot like it... They moved a 80-some gig file from London to L.A. in like 21 seconds. Please correct me if I'm wrong about those numbers/locations

At the rate new technology gets adopted today, I can see this replacing the modern Internet within 10-15 years. Right now the average broadband connection is capable of far more than what people use so there won't be an incentive to upgrade. This will have its niche in the science and corporate world far before it reaches the average consumer.

Doubtful that this will be something that consumers see in the next 20-25 years. Fact is, the infrastructure just isn't there. There also isn't incentive for telecom's & ISP's to roll out the infrastructure.... Sorry for casting the rain cloud, but I don't see this being a technology within the forseeable future for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom