Good connection, no internet access

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0mmun1st4lyf3

In Runtime
It has been weird...

My computer always receives good signal, 4-5 bars, from my router. However, sometimes I cannot go online even if i am connected to the router. The weird thing is, when i am sitting in my room, with laptop on the desk, it will stop working if i push it a little farther away from the router, but if i pull it towards it a few inches it will work again. What's with this? if i have perfect connection to the router why doesn't it connect to the internet? When it doesn't connected to the internet i get "limited access." So it has something to do with my modem, not router? I am using DSL and I live in Sacramento, CA.

Initial checks...
What OS, you running. All the latest updates, serivce packs etc.
What is managing your wireless connection. Do you have the latest updated drivers for your card/chip.
Router/Modem - Make/Model ?

~ Tkey

Play with the antenna's on ur router.Sounds like ur just losing the connection or somethings interfering. how far from the router are you?

I am really really close to the router. 25 feet . The computer has good signal of the router at almost all times, but it just suddenly stops internet access and I'd have to move it a few inches toward the router...

i am using Vista home basic, a Compaq Presario C700

I've heard of things like wireless phones causing problems like that. The other thing to check when you lose internet access would be the "dsl/internet" light on your modem (not your router) is on.

What type of router do you have? What frequency does it use? Cordless phones and microwaves work on the same frequency as some routers. Most routers will use 2.4Ghz frequency, and you should try to use phones that use 5.8 or 6.

Make sure everything is up-to-date, then see if some other variable is happening when you lose connection. Phone calls, someone on the phone, cooking, etc.

Make sure you ahve the right settings within your security settings on your wirless connection. Second you have to remember that WiFi isn't an absolute blanket of signal. It's not a perfect imaginary bubble that some are led to believe like we see in illistrations. If something like a utility box, copper tubing, or something else is inbetween you and your router there could potentially be deadspots. I would suggest moving your router to a different location and see if you get the same results.

If you have the ability, walk around the room and see where there may be some dead spots.

something super weird about this laptop is that.. when it stops gettign internet access, all i do is tilt the laptop up a little , maybe 2 inches and it will get the internet speed right away.

It sure sounds like an interference issue. As suggested, you need to move things around a bit. I would start with trying to move the router a little and see how that works for your current laptop location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom