Fraternity House Networking Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkyfactory29

Beta member
I live in a fraternity house with about 35 other people, and i am the lucky tech person who gets to deal with all the computer issues in the house.

First let me explain our situation, we have a time warner cable and a huge drawn on it. We have 15 HD cable boxes and we are paying for 15 mbps internet, however we only get about half that, but thats for another day. Our cable has a giant amplifier on it to help compensate for the draw(the modem is behind the amp). We are currently using a standard home model modem with a linksys wrt-g 54 as our house router, which connects to a 64 port switch, which is then connected to 3 wireless access points.

Our internet dies at least once a day, on a windows PC you are unable to connect to any other computers on the network and it says that it doesn't have internet when you go over the wireless icon. This is easily solved most of the time by unplugging both the modem and the router for a few seconds but not always. And this has been happening more and more frequently over the last year or so to the point where its getting unbearable.

We are considering a few options and of course the cheaper the better. First we are looking into getting a small business wireless router, or possible a computer running routing software. We were also thinking of changing ISP's or convincing time warner to drop another line from the street to our house since we are such huge customers with a huge bill every month.

Thanks for any help.

FF29

Sounds like you're not utilising many ports on the 64 port switch yes? If so, just grab yourself an 8-port gig switch and replace the older one. I'm thinking it's probably the failing point on this network

Remove the amp

Do not place the amp before the modem. This can cause major problems.

Cable line coming in --> 2 way splitter (5MHz to 1000MHz range) --> 1 split to cable modem, 1 split to amp for television

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom