file sharing on functioning wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyacrossawave

Solid State Member
I am running a home wireless network in Windows XP, which as far as it's primary purpose, connecting the computers in the house to the Internet, works just fine. However, I cannot get file sharing to function. It seems as though each computer does not recognize any of the others. On my client computer, the one I primarily use, I can go to My Network Places, where I get a heading "Local Network", under which "SharedDocs on Emma's (Emma)" is all that appears. Emma is the name of my computer, and Emma's is the description. (bet you can't guess what my name is) This is all that shows up. Can someone give me an idea of how to access other computers, or point me to some site that can help me? I've googled without success, I found several websites but none seemed to help.

i had a great website to do this, but i can't find the link. i'll get it for you soon hopefully, if not i'll try and walk you through it.

infiltrator7 said:
i had a great website to do this, but i can't find the link. i'll get it for you soon hopefully, if not i'll try and walk you through it.

Thanks alot, I hope you can find it.

Are you running Windows XP Professional or Home? Make sure NetBIOS is enable and either disable your firewall or configure it to allow for file sharing and that your on the same workgroup for on all computer. If you're running professional you should check your NTFS permission. Do so by disabling simple file sharing in control panel/folder option. Then righy click on the folder you want to share and click on properties, go to security tab, click add and add the everyone group. For Professional and Home you have to check local security policy in control panel /administrator tool. When your in, check local polices/user rights assignment. You should locate 2 things where it says "Access this computer from Network" (make sure the everyone group is listed, else add it) then locate "Deny access to this computer from the network" (make sure there is no group other then support_353..whatever listed there). You should restart the system. Still have problem or don't know what to do let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom