Far Area Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaZyFLiP

Baseband Member
I know that it is possible to network computers together within short distances of each other, but how far is too far? Is there anyway to network computers that are not near each other? Currently I am networked to 2 other computer in this house. I wanted to know if i could connect to another computer located 300 miles away. Basically I'm looking for a faster way to share files from each comptuer. Any help appreiciated. TIA!

They're called Wide Area Networks (or WAN for short). A WAN is just like a LAN only it requires a different type of physical layout. Instead of CAT5 or CAT6 it generally needs fiber optic or something that can carry information for hundreds of miles. Does this sound familiar? Well, it should because I am connected to a WAN right now, and so are you. It's called "the Internet". If you want to connect 2 computers 300 miles away, use the internet as the transfer medium. Or you could make your own WAN with fiber optic......but that's a bit spendy. Hope this helped.

I have some more idea's I will put up tommorow, but fiber is most likely the best way to go.

And AnthraX, fiber is what you should use, but in the US it's rarely used. Mainly OC and T-X connections.

And if you want to connect at a slow internet speed, you can use a Virtual Privite Network. This requires a modern router on the client side, and a router with VPN support (expensive) on the server side.

I however do not know much about VPN's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom