ethernet Homeplugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekrules

Solid State Member
Hi there, i've been getting a lot of wireless problems recently. No idea what's going on, my signal would drop for no apparent reason and the speed would jump around anywhere between 1Mbps and 56Mbps. I'm assuming im getting some sort of interference from somewhere... this started about a week ago.

My laptop, is right next to where the boiler is, and being winter... maybe that has something to do with it? no one else around the house is having problems... lol i dont know, maybe its the neighbors.

anyways, i've been looking into these 'Homeplugs' where you connect your router and your computer to a wall socket all via ethernet and everything connects up via the electrical wireing or something. Anyone know much about these?

i've found a few,
cheaper ones,
and more expensive ones,
main difference seems to be the transfer speed :/

my question is, will the "up to 14Mbps" be enough for me to access the internet at full speed? im on a 2Mbps connection, and common sense tells me it should be fine. But everytime my wireless drops anywhere below 54Mbps my internet becomes laggy... be it gaming or browsing, so i'm not quite sure.

if you guys could shed some light it would be great!

cheers.

I have seen those b4 at customers homes. What happens is that your network signal rides on top of the 60hz electrical signal. I have heard it is possible that your network not only will go to every electrical outlet in your house, ...and beyond, like your neighborhhod...anybody that uses A/C. So if you do get that b4 you buy make sure thee sinal can be encrypted. The other side is too, the chances someone has the wall outlet networking is slim.
As far as your signal goes it could be your network card is going bad. I would move your notebook or desktop to another location and see if it does the same, there are also range extenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom