Error: Domain controller could not be found for the specified domain. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to LightingBird Send a message via MSN to LightingBird Send a message via Yahoo to LightingBird
Default Error: Domain controller could not be found for the specified domain.

I have an employee that gets this upon every boot on his assigned laptop. I have utterly no idea what it means or how to correct it. Help needed please.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

Default Re: Error: Domain controller could not be found for the specified domain.

I believe the system administrator would have to make the default gateway for the laptop be that server. It sounds like maybe the IP address for that server got messed up or something like that. There are several reasons that could have happened, but I would check out the IP address for that domain controller, and see if it everything in the domain is as it should be IP address-wise.

I am guessing it could be the domain controller had an IP address change, or is offline. I don't know, considering I don't know the physical topology of the network that you have, or much else to go by.

I have a reference manual for Windows Server 2003 on hand, are the servers in the network Windows Server 2003, 2007, combination of server platforms ? I'll try to help but I need to know a little more. First off, what kind of servers are they?
Closed Thread