Encrypting Internet traffic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

95BlackGA

Fully Optimized
What can I do to encrypt my traffic to keep my ISP from looking at what is done? Someone gained access to my internet connection (Wireless router, forgot to disable wireless when I set it up), now because of that, it's biting me in the ***. My ISP suspended my account, which to do so they blocked my modem. I have VoIP through my ISP, and when they blocked my modem, my phone didn't work for 2+ hours. Having my ISP block me because of content that comes and goes, has me a little paranoid, as I do run a business part time through my computer, and have a lot of delicate information coming and going.

EDIT : Thank you to whoever moved this, I did not realize where I posted it. :eek:

What can I do to encrypt my traffic to keep my ISP from looking at what is done? Someone gained access to my internet connection (Wireless router, forgot to disable wireless when I set it up)...

So do you use the wireless functionality of your router?

Surely you'd want to prevent unauthorised users from gaining access to your network in the first place, rather than preventing your ISP from being able to monitor your activity. Unless of course, your explanation is not the reason for your wanting to encrypt your Internet traffic :freak:.

In any case, I'm answering with regards to the problem. If wireless is enabled on the router, you should secure it using WPA2. That way, unauthorised users can't gain instant access to your network (therefore Internet connection), and your data (across the local network) will be encrypted, meaning unauthorised users won't be able to use your Internet connection for malicious purposes (that is, as you've reported :freak:).

I was using a wireless router because I didn't have any other router that I could network a media server, and my gaming console to it. I never even thought to disable wireless, as I had used it at my old house, and never had any problems with it. I now live in a well populated area, which gave a lot more people access to my router. I went and bought a wired router last night, only because if my wireless router is out of power, it will reset itself, and enable the wireless. I'm not too worried about my ISP looking at the data being sent/received, except for the sensitive information that I would be held responsible for, if anything happened with it. (Credit Card Numbers, names, addresses, phone numbers)

That information should already be encrypted via the web pages you are using when the information is sent. Since that is highly sensative information unless you know that the page is secure and encrypted you shouldnt be using it at all. That is not jsut something you could do cause it also requires the servers to have this protection as well. It wouldnt do you any good to send it out encrypted over the internet.

Its like this. The web page askes for information. Now when you enter it and send it the first packet has the key to unlock the encryption. This is what was originally requested from the server. Now you send the information encrypted.

If the information is intercepted by someone else they didnt get the first packet which told them how to unlock the encryption and read teh data. So to them it is useless. Only the Server that requested the information has the key to unlock the data.

That is why you must make sure that the pages you visit are secure. If not do not give the information out. IT is a 2 way street to protect the infromation. It is not just something you can do on your own.

Using that same analogy as above without the server part.

You have sensative information to send. But it wasnt requested by the server and you encrypt it. Now you send it out as encrypted but you dont send the key on how to unlock the information to the server. Now the server gets the info but without the key the data is useless and sends you a error cause it cant read the data.

I hope that helps you understand how this secure data transfer works. It is required on both ends. Not just yours.

If your router reverts to factory defaults after losing power, I would think there is a problem with your router. There should be only TWO ways to get a router back to factory default. The first and easiest is the button on the back that you push in with a safety pin, and the second, is generally an option to do so within the router's configuration.

If you aren't using the wireless, you could also remove the antenna. Many of them just screw off the back. That should limit range to within your home/business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom