Dual Routers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infowarrior45

Baseband Member
Hello,
I was wondering what the best setup would be for me to have wireless internet in the following situation:
Currently, I live in a place where I have access to one hardwire ethernet cable. This usually works great for me...I just hook it up to my desktop. However, I now need wireless internet. Here is the problem. The ethernet cable that goes into my room originates from a wired-only router that I do not have access to (I don't own it). What is the best way for me to get wireless internet while still hooking my desktop up with an ethernet cable?

I know it is a bit complex. My thought was that I could just hook-up a wireless router to my ethernet cable, and then connect my desktop with an ethernet cable from the router. Can I do this? Is it possible to have dual routers?

Thanks a lot! I appreciate.

You would need a wireless AP or a wireless router with dhcp turned off.

Thanks. Is there any advantage to a wireless AP over a wireless router?

Also, my budget is really tight right now. Could you recommend a very cheap wireless router/wireless AP?

Sure $17 is a small price to pay to play around. Do you have access to the router to see it's dhcp table? It is nice to set up the second one with an ip outside of the rage given by the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom