Dual Gigabit usefulness

Status
Not open for further replies.

masteroc

In Runtime
Hey guys, i just ordered a mobo with dual gigabit ethernet that i was reading about. The reviewer said that if you hook up both to your router, it will improve your speed because it would combine to form 2gb..or something close to that. Right now i have a regular wireless router hooked up to a 10/100 switch. My internet is 1.5mb/384kbs. How much of a gain for games (such as CS:S) would i get for spending around $130 for a gigabit wireless router....is it worth it with the speed of my internet connection?

Thanks

P.S. In the near future i might be getting Verizon's Fios internet service (15mb/2mb speeds). Does this make it more worth it??

you will gain a lot from networking (I can copy 227 gig over in 2-3 hour as oppose to 12-15) but not for internet use unless you use a windows server edition. any dual card will help you then. in windows sp1 and earlier you could make a bridge connect to make the net a little faster

kk, thanks...just wanted to make sure i wouldnt get any significant improvement in online games.

You will actually see zero improvement with online games.... at best, depending on the quality of the chipset used, etc, you MIGHT see a few ms decrease in latency, but nothing noticable. As EricB stated, you would benefit only on your LAN, and only if you are using a Gigabit router.

the bottleneck with the gaming is your link to the ISP, which is 1.5mb/384kbs, as you stated.

The internet connection is going to be yoru bottleneck. The only real use for dual nics is to use the computer as a router for a 2nd computer to connect to the internet.

you will gain a lot from networking (I can copy 227 gig over in 2-3 hour as oppose to 12-15) but not for internet use unless you use a windows server edition. any dual card will help you then. in windows sp1 and earlier you could make a bridge connect to make the net a little faster

This is true for the internet your not going to see a huge speed gain however for transfering files it works very great. However at some point I bet internet speeds will get faster and you will notice the difference. As cheap as gigabit routers are you really can't lose though. Also most or all gigabit router out are wireless N and for the gain in that it would also be worth it if you have wireless computers as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom