DSL modem and router set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIT Tiger

Beta member
Hi everyone, I joined this forum to get some help on this issue:

I currently run Verizon DSL at my house and have a wired D-link DI-604 router and a Westell modem. I set everything up myself and my internet works fine, but since i have brought my xbox 360 home from college to play online, i couldnt plug it into the router via ethernet cable and connect to the internet. I thought it was wierd because i could plug my laptop in and connect just fine.

microsoft says that because im running through a router, i wont need to put in the pppoe settings into the xbox, and it didnt work even when i tried.

Anyway, i really discovered that i may have an issue when i realized that by connecting the modem to the WLAN port on the router, i could connect to Xbox live, but i no longer could connect to the internet on my laptop or desktop. It made me think that i have the whole set-up and settings wrong.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Did you do the ppoe setup on the router itself? And then set up all the computers to obtain ip automatically?

Based upon your symptoms I believe you have ppoe set up on your router but also on your computers. Try to set them up to obtain ip automatically. Connect modem into wan on router and computers into the other jacks.

Make sure that the computers are set up to obtain there IP's automatically. Just go to network connections and right-click on the connection and go to properties. Then go to the properties of your TCP/IP and change to to DHCP so it automatically gets it's ip address. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom