DSL Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

K Tooz

Solid State Member
I am trying to help a friend of mine deal with a problem connecting to the internet with their dsl service. She is using a ISP called Zoomtown, and it has worked fine until she got her new laptop. Now, she claims the only time she can make a connection is when she is on the phone. Any ideas or suggestions?? I haven't been over there yet to check anything out or how anything is configured, but I was just wondering if there would be a reason why she could only get a signal when she is talking on the phone and no signal when she isn't. Thanks in advance for the help.....

That wouldn't make any sense. Just do some basic troubleshooting. First is she connected through a router or directly to the modem? Is it wired or wireless? What does IPCONFIG return?

Doesnt make any sense to me either. She is directly conncected to the modem, and I wont know what ipconfig shows until i get over there. any other ideas???

its got to be a computer issue doesnt it? considering there wasnt a problem until she got a new laptop. ive got nothing....

I don't know anything about her ISP but when I use to have Verizon DSL they would give you this software that you would install to be able to dial the DSL number to connect. That means you can disconnect and connect like dialup. I wonder if she needs to install a software on her new computer.

Mhm, sounds a little weird this. Anyway, if you need to have a sort of dial-up connection to ADSL or DSL though, you can you PPPoE which requires a username and password to be able to connect. This could be inserted in a router, but is usually now integrated in the new modems, so this shouldnt really be a problem. PPPoE is Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet. Is someone else using the line? Check for firewalls that might block somehow. And maybe check spyware and adware. Check to see if she get a valid IP address and DNSes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom