Dsl installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

chi boy

Solid State Member
I need to find out what i need to buy so i can recive a dsl connection on my 5 year old comp. Since its pretty old it has nothing to do with dsl. I have the modem and the service but i know i need to install something on the computer. Can anyone help?

~chi~

Some modems support USB as well, I know mine does. NIC cards are cheap though and usually come onboard in the mobos now a days. Shouldn't matter too much what brand you get, unless you start using gigabit or something.

After i buy this is just have to connect the modem and i will have dsl?

Can enyone refer me to a link telling you how to install it?

~free~

Google "install a NIC" if you need instructions with pictures

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy a NIC, any PCI 10/100 card will work

Open your systems case

Plug the card into an empty PCI slot

Boot the system

Load the drivers when prompted

Your dsl line goes into your dsl modem, connect the dsl modem to your pc with a cat5 RJ-45 connector.

Go online

MICROFILTERS!!!!!!!

don't forget to install microfilters on all devices connected to the phone line. this allows the devices to distinguish the data lines from the phone lines. YOU WILL RUN INTO CONNECTION PROBLEMS IF ANY ARE MISSING! I had a case where my connection was dropping so often, turns out that my parents replaced a phone but didnt connect the microfilter.

this should be outlined in your install guide from the ISP. Verzion supplied me with enough microfilters for my house, but i know you can buy them at radio shack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom