Dsl connection and restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

fhpgth

Beta member
Hi,
I'm having a problem with a desk top system connecting to a modem. I don't think it is the modem because it works with a laptop in another location. I've tried two different brands of network cards in the system with the same results. When I connect the ADSL modem to the computer I get an error message:

D:\\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe terminated unexpectedly with status code 128. The system will now shut down and restart.

I cannot just turn the system off, the i/o switch on the back must be used to shut down the machine. If it reboots it will come back to the same message and routine.

If I disconnect the modem cable the system works normally. I read that the message has something to do with a worm but if that is the case why would it only appear when a modem is connected.

I did a virus scan with Nortan, managed to download their updates before the message appeared and shut down the system, but that didn't help.

The working system is a laptop / Win XP home on the second floor. It is currently connected to the ADSL moded thru a port replicator and works properly.

Does anyone have any idea why the modem will work at one location but not at the other?

Thanks, TH

It happened to me. That's definitely sasser worm. All you have to do is to enable XP built in firewall and install third party firewall as well before it shuts down.

Then download assser worm removal tool from norton it should fix the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom