DNS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcortes

Fully Optimized
i have a web server, ftp, mysql server, ect running on a comp on my LAN now when people outside my network use my dns i have setup they are able to connect to my webserver but when i use the dns behind my router on my LAN it takes me to my ISP page. it didnt do this with my old router. help please.

it takes you to your ISP page or the config page of your router?

if it takes you to the config page of your router, this is new thing that alot of routers have introduced recently, it is becuse the router is unable to connect back into itself (if you are trying to access your domain from inside you network that may not be what you are trying to achive)

sorry this is vauge give us some more information and I will try and help further,

chris

it takes me to an earthlink page which is my ISP and it gives all my ip's and information like that.

i have a webserver set up on my local network and when i use the DNS from inside the network it brings me to that page.

It isn't setup properly, you'll have to add the internal www and IP as a new host (A) record in the Forward lookup zone. For instance when you type www.yourwebsite.com or whatever the URL is, the DNS server will forward this request to the ISP since it doesn't have an entry for it, that's why you get the page from your ISP.

You could do other things like put the IP & URL in each of the computers HOST file, therefore anytime it needs to enter an URL for your Internal web server it will immediately have a static route to the IP address. By default HOST file are use by the computer for IP to name resolution before they contact the DNS server.

I'm pretty sure this should work assuming both the DNS server and web server are behind the NAT router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom