DNS errors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainbows!

Beta member
Hello! please be easy on me as I am new to this forum lol!:p

Anyway, I have a wireless Belkin router with a Belkin Access point attached to it wirelessly. From my access point I run my laptop and PS3.

Basically, these past few days the internet on the laptop runs really slow, sometimes it wouldnt let me open websites or if it did, only some of the website would display. I checked for viruses but nothing appeared. It wasnt until i turned the PS3 on that it displayed the error message "DNS error, Can not connect to the server". I checked the internet connections and it was unable to find a IP address or if i connected to the router, unable to let me sign into the playstation network. It is extremely tempremental however, but it happens 95% of the time. I rarely ever connect without problems and when i do, it lasts for maybe an hour then everything screws up.

I have tried resetting the access point by unplugging it on many occassions but nothing changed. I did put an ethernet cable from the router to my laptop and hey presto, everything is working superb. I have not reset the router as i thought it was okay if it was running fine with wired connections.

Sorry about it being so long guys, just it is really bugging me! I wonder if anyone can give me advice on what the problem is and how to solve it.

Possibly your ISP was having some DNS issues.

Try pointing your DNS settings to some different, free servers.
Log into your router and find the section to specify Manual DNS Entries (or something along those lines).

Use:
Primary: 208.67.222.222
Secondary: 208.67.220.220

There are from OpenDNS

Go ahead and reset the router, too. Better safe than sorry.

OpenDNS is really good, though. I use it.

Ya, they are great.
I was at someones house yesterday trying to figure out when they couldn't access their email (they just switched to Bell and of course Bell's blocking port 25 so can't access their old email servers) but before I realized that, Outlook was saying "Can't find host". So I'm thinkin' DNS. I switched them to OpenDNS and opened IE. Instead of 5 seconds for the page to load (which I always thought was their laptop being slow) BAM, instant load. Much, much faster than Bell's POS.

Since it works fine with a wired connection to the router it appears to me to be a wireless issue. Try switching the router's channel to a different one; a neighbor may have a wireless router now on the same channel you're using. You will have to change the access point to agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom