DIY Home Network With Server - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regular home use. I'm a student trying to work this out but not having much luck. I think from what you say I'd better with a domain. If that'll allow me to do what I've said previously then I'll go for it.

Thanks for all the help!

A domain will allow what you want to do and so much more but that however is a looong subject.To start off with you need to install the server 2003,take the defaults with typical TCP/IP setup and the server a member of a workgroup,also chose per server for the licenses.Then install any drivers you need.Set your server up with a Static IP.If you connected through a router it might be better off to change the DHCP on your router to off.Then have your server be a DHCP server.Do a start/run type in dcpromo and enter.Follow the steps (your server must be able to talk to another computer for dcpromo to run)then follow the wizard for what type of machines are going to connect to it.Select this is a new domain in a new forest.It is going to say there is no DNS server located do you wish to install say yes.After it goes through then reboot.Apon bootup go into your TCP/IP properties and set the first DNS server address with the address of your server.On the DHCP server set up point the DNS address part to your server.Then in Active Directory Users and computers add the user accounts.On the other client computers have them go to system properties and change from workgroup to domain(note to join the domain you must use the Administrator account from the domain controller).As far as the shared disk space you can either share folders or drive volumes.If you create drive volumes then create it via disk management and give it a name then right-click and shared,then on sharing permissions set up the users you want to access the drive.For the MP3s create it the same way but have the everyone group in the share permissions.There is a lot of info out there try google for the info or microsoft.I just walked you through setting it up but you need to do some research before you deploy, to understand what you are doing and how to maintain it.

I think I understand that; just a couple of questions.
I take it you mean I should set up the server with static IP (how?) because my ISP doesn't do static IPs.
I'm not sure what you mean about my router and DHCP. I connect to the internet using a Wanadoo Livebox. It's my wifi network and ADSL router. Does that cause a problem?
**EDIT**
Ignore this, I've found it in control panel & understand now.
I'm not sure what you mean here "On the other client computers have them go to system properties and change from workgroup to domain(note to join the domain you must use the Administrator account from the domain controller)".
**END EDIT**I take it I don't have to set up the users in control panel on every machine. When the client machines boot up the logons will refer to the ones set up on the server?

I will be going offline soon as it's 1am here in the UK so I might not reply for a few hours. I appreciate all your help on this matter.
Rgds
HankWils

I under stand that your ISP does not do static unless for that right money(wink wink)I mean set up the router as a default gateway at witch it is right now.In the router setup you have an option for DHCP to be on or off.By default it is on,this is how your comptuers get an IP from the router then the router translates the IP to go out to the Internet.All of this info should be in your router set up.In the DHCP server set up on 2003 you can enter the default gateway(the router) and IP address you wish not to be given out(servers and router IP)I mean a static IP from the TCP/IP properties of the server,servers should have static IP's cause if the IP changed like it does with DHCP then the mapped network drives,shared folders,shared printers, and so on and so forth wouls have to mapped all over again.You set up the user accounts on the domain controlloer,then you right-click my computer and select properties,then go to computer name,then there is a button for change to join a domain.When you enter the domain name in and select ok then it is going to ask you for a username and password with the right permissions to join the domain,use the administrator account from the domain controller.

Right. It looks like it's all going to work. The only problem is with the router. It's a shitty one sent out by my ISP (Wanadoo) and doesn't really have any options. It's all user friendly (for dumbasses) so I'll have to play around with it until I find the option for DHCP off.
**EDIT**
*I really should think before I write*
I've just found those settings on the router. Is it just a simple case of turn DHCP off?
I understand that what I want to do is use the modem/router to connect the server to the internet and to connect all the computers on the network. But the server should deal with the internet connections for all the PCs instead of the router as it does just now.
I've also found an option on my router under the heading 'Dynamic DNS'. The first thing here is 'Server Status: Off'.
"Dynamic DNS allow to find your variable IP address from the Internet. Register to a dynamic DNS server is required to use this service.

Wanadoo advises you that you do not need to change any of these settings unless asked to do so by Wanadoo Customer Support.

Access point IP address: xx.xx.xx.xxx"
then I can have service DynDNS or no-ip.

Does any of this help?

This is the part were it gets tricky.Dynamic DNS leave it off,you will need to pull DNS from your ISP or you will not be able to get out to the Internet.Unless you set up DNS forward look-up zones witch is another whole story in itself.There might be limitations with the basic user friendly router.First install the 2003 server then turn off the DHCP on the router,play with the DHCP on the server to have the router as a default gateway,(having the router as a default gateway will translate the internal network addresses to external to get out to the Internet).After you get the DHCP set up and all the computers have no problems getting out to the Internet.Then you do the dcpromo,however I forgot to mention that when it asks you to name your domain chose a .local or .private,this way you do not have to register the name.Example instead like MyDomain.com set it to MyDomain.local

There are some resources on the Internet for setting up a DHCP server.It is a little hard to explain it,not knowing the option available on the router.

Thanks for all your help. I know a lot more about what I'm doing now. I'm waiting for a delivery of some equipment then I'll be giving it a bash. I'll let you know if I have any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom