disabled WEP, then re-enabled, and wireless stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

glennl

Baseband Member
i inherited a dell dimension 2300 and installed a d-link wireless pci card to get it working with my home wireless network. everything was up and running fine.

on an unrelated issue, i temporarily disabled my WEP 128 bit encryption. i was still connected to my network, with "excellent" signal strength, but when i open firefox or IE, it tries to "dial" a broadband connection.

my wireless connection says "connected" and it sends data but it's not receiving any. if i try to open a web site, i get a "page cannot be found" error.

what did i do and how do i fix it? like i said it was working fine before i disabled the WEP. please help...

Glenn

*EDIT* my other wireless computers are working fine, so i know it's an issue with the particular workstation.

glennl said:
i inherited a dell dimension 2300 and installed a d-link wireless pci card to get it working with my home wireless network. everything was up and running fine.

on an unrelated issue, i temporarily disabled my WEP 128 bit encryption. i was still connected to my network, with "excellent" signal strength, but when i open firefox or IE, it tries to "dial" a broadband connection.

my wireless connection says "connected" and it sends data but it's not receiving any. if i try to open a web site, i get a "page cannot be found" error.

what did i do and how do i fix it? like i said it was working fine before i disabled the WEP. please help...

Glenn

*EDIT* my other wireless computers are working fine, so i know it's an issue with the particular workstation.

Have you tried to re-run the internet connection wizard?

Choose "i want to set up my internet connection manually"

"I connect through a LAN"

"Automatically detect proxy server"

"finish"

try to disable the internet wireless connection on that workstation
and then enable it back
and also do a repair

thanks guys. what wound up fixing it was something about a network bridge? i have no idea what that is, but i when i disabled the bridge it started working again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom