Dialup Networking Unavailable

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadRash333

Beta member
Ok, this is a bit embarrassing since I do have a moderate knowledge of computers and networking. However, this is my problem. I am working on a computer that won't dial out successfully. There is an internal and external modem installed (both correctly). However, when viewing network connections, all that is available is the LAN. When trying to install/add a new network connection. I will click on add new connection...
I select create a new connection,
I select connect to the internet,
I select setup connection manually,

Now is where I should select Connect using a dial-up modem/Dial-up Networking, however, it is greyed out along with connect using a broadband connection that requires user name and password. The only selection available is connect using broadband that is always on....which would be fine if that was the type of connection needed. FYI The broadband connection works fine, but the owner of computer only has dial-up.

I have tried both modems, both are installed correctly. The owner connects with AOL. When dialing out to get local access numbers, I do in fact get a dial tone, connect to the server, but then can't get any incoming data (local numbers) and get disconnected. I have one modem enabled and one disabled. I also tried to flip-flop them and get the same result. So, the computer recognizes that the modem is there and working, but I can't install/access Dial-up networking at all. I did go to add/remove programs and selected add/remove windows components and everything is selected as being present, so I am at a loss as to why this is occurring.

I uninstalled AOL, in the thought that perhaps that was an issue, still no dial up networking boxes accessable. So, so much for trying any ISP.....

Re-installed AOL, same results.

I've never seen anything like this before. Any help/suggestions would be most appreciated.

Well, don't skip the wizard.

Dialup Networking has to be the first and foremost easiest thing you could do.

Well, thats if you follow the wizard.

im glad...

Glad to know im not the only one with the problem.

Yup the freakn modem is detected and drivers can even be installed. ey, can you open the Phone and Modem control in the control panel?

Anyway, i get an error message when i attempt to open it.... it says something about telephony....

i did some consulting and all suggested that i install a fresh copy of the OS. MS XP in my case... i think you can try doing the same...

success

I successfully reinstalled my XP and successully got the connection....

again, you can try doing the same....

best of energies...

Try this -

Go to your control panel,

open "internet options"

click on the 'connections' TAB

and click the 'ADD' button next to the 'Dial up and virtual private network settings'

After this - follow through this way - maybe it will help...

If it does, also make sure that under the 'connections' TAB that you have selected "ALWAYS DIAL MY DEFAULT NETWORK CONNECTION" .

hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom