Dial up connects but can't browse

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnulr

Solid State Member
Hello,

Am I missing a setting or something? I get a reasonable connection for where I live but no matter what browser I use I cannot browse.

Interestingly enough when I enable my personal wireless connection there's no problem.

I am working on a neighbor's computer that requires dial up and when I dial up I can get connected from time to time but even though it says I'm connected I can't browse. I checked my browsers and "working offline" is NOT checked so I'm stumped.

Any help would be appreciated.

All my personal computers are using XP as well as the neighbor's I'm working on.

Thanks!

jnulr:(

No it DOESN'T "ping" It tell me it can't find the host.

I used the ping command using Yahoo which works on my broadband satellite connection just not the phone "dial up" on my neighbor's computer. So what does this indicate that could be the problem? Remember, it show's connectivity as far as the dialer is concerned but neither Explorer or Mozilla can browse to a website. "Very frustrating" for sure.
I've run SFC /scannow to make sure all the system file are intact and I downloaded an ran a program that fixes "Winsock" in the registry is that's corrupted. So, if you can give me something else to try, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

jnulr

Well I was trying to see if it could be an application problem, like the browser wasn't setup properly.

Try and ping google's IP at 216.239.51.104

Also, check if the computer has an IP address and DNS server by typing ipconfig /all

It could probably mean you didn't setup or install a software that requires you to first dial-in then log-in to get authenticated, which is typical of a dial up ISP.

Other things to check are firewall.

Hello Law,

Thanks very much for your help.

I think we've got a situation here that is based on very old phone lines from our area into the core center of the town closest to us. I have since tried 2 different computers using the same ISP dial up with similar and very slow connectivity. If I can't get them connected at 24 kbs or better, neither "Internet Explorer" or "Mozilla Firefox" will browse however, I kept trying and trying and finally got connected at 24.6 and I WAS able to browse.

I also went into the "general" tab of the advanced TCP/IP settings for this connection and clicked on "use default gateway on remote computer" which made the browsers at least try to go to a webpage where before I got an immediate message indicating "not found".

So, again, thanks for your help.

jnulr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom