Dell power edge, raid, resize part

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA1

In Runtime
I have a customer that has a Dell power edge tower, about a year and a half to 2 years old. For some strange reason Dell made 2 partitions on a 250gig HD. The first partition is the boot/system partition and that is 12gig in size. The second partition is empty and has the rest 220 some gig. So wind 2003 ate up some space, the registry some of the programs, now they are out of space.

This is what I want to do, resize the volume with Acronis disk director server. I tried it on another win 2003 server with pata HDs and I could resize the volume.

The customers Dell server I am about 90% sure it is pata, although I think they have a raid controller. Probably a stripe set not sure.
Not sure if it is even raid, i iam sure that the HDs ribbon cable goes to a controller in a pci slot, so probably raid.

The customer only has about 600meg to a gig of data, just some folders on the server that are mapped. So I gues I will uninstall some programs and when reinstalling use the custom feature and install on the 2nd partition. so i will have room to install acronis. What I want to know does resizing a partition matter if you are using ANY of the raid schemes.? I would like to clone the hd , i am kind of paranoid that something will go wrong. When I set this up and way b4 I knew about the partitions I kept handing the guy his software and win2003 server cd , he kept laying them down somewhere else, so i am not even sure if he has the win 2003 cd and cdkey anymore. Do you think I should worry about the BU or just do the resize ?

ALWAYS do a backup when there is the slightest doubt something can go wrong on a server that is crucial to the operation of any company. The parition and RAID are 2 seperate things one will not affect the other for what you want to do. That statement of course is not always true.

I would just backup the data since it is small, and make an image of the C:\ then perform the repartition. In theory the D:\ should stay in tact and simply allocate unsed space to the C:\. Whoever built that server did the right thing, but now days I would say a OS partition should be at least 20GB.

If they are using a raid array how can i image.
I do not know if i mentioned it this guy may not have his windows 2003 cd and cd key. I kept handing it to him and he kept laying it down again, in case the worst.

You image a RAID array the same you do a normal IDE drive you are simply cloning the partition. I just cloned 4 of our servers recently all running RAID5.

I would assume your imaging software supports networking capabiliteis? I did our clones/resotres via Norton Ghost 8 Enterprise ghostcasting software.

You image a RAID array the same you do a normal IDE drive you are simply cloning the partition. I just cloned 4 of our servers recently all running RAID5.

Interesting. So you used ghost ? I think I just have the non corp ghost, i think it is 2003, made a bootable floppy.
raid5, that is a stripe set ? 3 or more HDs, oh wait,,,,
so if this guy only has 2 HDs , what are the raid choices, mirror set ? doesn't matter i guess like you said. Just need to back up the partition.

I would assume your imaging software supports networking capabiliteis? I did our clones/resotres via Norton Ghost 8 Enterprise ghostcasting software.
explain how "networking capabilities " plays a part. You also say
"our" server, . So I assume it is a place where you work. The place i am at is not. It is a customer, who can go from sort of nice to a pain in no time at all, refuses to learn anything about PC's even still does not know there is windows explorer. I try to explain something to him to try to help and he says I do not want to know. So he knows nothing and blames me for everything. Sorry sort of digressed there. So I would hope nothing will go wrong or appear to.

I understand completely. My primary full time job is a Systems Analyst for a Gannett news paper, but I also do contract work so feel your pain in terms of dealing with these irritable customers.

Networking capabilites in cloning software is crucuial as an admin for the exact reason of dealing with things like RAID's. When you build the boot disk the only drivers you need to load are the NIC's network drivers.

The way I currently clone my RAID based servers is...1) Create the network boot disk. 2) boot the client from the network boot disk 3) start the session on the ghostcast server 4) push the image out from the client to the server via multi/uni/directed broadcasts...done.

Most of our current RAID 5 setups are running at least 10 SCSI HD's a piece and our monster RAID 5's are running about 30 HD's...plenty of room for hot swaps in those servers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom