D-Link wireless router problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

shenlingstyle

In Runtime
Hi all,

I have an interesting problem with my wireless connection. Any help is appreciated and thanks for reading. Here it is:

I have typical Rogers Cable internet. I have the cable modem connected to a D-Link wireless router.

Now, my motherboard (ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe) came with this wireless adaptor thing so I thought I'd give it a try. Apparently it works. After successfully connecting to the wireless network, the internet worked great.

After a day or so, the connection was suddenly so slow that it matched dial-up speeds. The funny thing is, the signal strength remains at excellent (around 84%), so basically there was no change in reception/strength compared to before.

I tried these things to try to fix it, but none of them worked (not consistently at least)

1. reset cable modem and/or wireless router
2. reset computer
3. reconnect my wireless adaptor

Sometimes one of these worked, but most of the time they don't. The problem could persist for days and then become fine again, but in time it will return again.

The other person using the wireless signal hasn't been downloading or anything. Sometimes he wasn't even home when this happens.

I'm totally out of ideas. I don't have much knowledge of networking either. Please help me!

Thanks, much appreciated!

SLS

keep an eye on the timing when it is going slow.

Is it week ends or some specific peak hours of office because in broad band cable network some times because lots of concurrent connections your total bandwidth gets shred and internet become slow.

My only advice towards D-Link wireless routers is get rid of them ASAP!!

I used a D-link 624 and I couldn't get any type of signal downstairs on my laptop. I kept that crappy thing for like 3 years just to keep my main pc on a router with a firewall and very little use of the wireless access if laptop was very very close. Finally got tired of no laptop access downstairs so I paid $39.99 for the after market D-link brand extremely tall antenna. This did nothing for my signal. In fact upstairs in my bedroom I was lucky to actually get a signal and laptop is only one room away from office.

My apartment has alot of wireless networks setup so there is a lot of interference.

I switched to Netgear WPN824
http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/RangeMaxWirelessRoutersandGateways.aspx

This thing has changed everything for my wife and I in regards to wireless access. I can go anywhere in the house with the laptop(uses b not g wireless card) downstairs upstairs outside at reasonable distance and still get green connection.

I also use xbox 360 with M$ wireless adapter and it gives green connection and I experience very little lag if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom