D-Link Router Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discusman

In Runtime
I have two computers connected to my D-Link router at home.

Computer A private IP: 189.112.0.100
Computer B private IP: 178.345.110.51 (where it used to have 189.112.0.101)

Now computer B has no internet connection and computer A has internet connection.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here? Thanks.

What is the internal IP of the router? What happens when you change the IP on "B" back to DHCP? My advise would be to change the IP settings back to DHCP on the "B" computer and see if you can connect once it receives a new IP from your gateway/router.

-Mike

mikesgroovin said:
What is the internal IP of the router? What happens when you change the IP on "B" back to DHCP? My advise would be to change the IP settings back to DHCP on the "B" computer and see if you can connect once it receives a new IP from your gateway/router.

-Mike

How can I change the IP on "B"? I lost connection to my router while I was assigning the IP in IIS 5.1. Computer B is my web server.

Also, I noticed when I use computer A (this is the working computer has internet access and also connected to my D-link router), I enter "Http://gateway" in the browser, it prompted me for username and pw. I entered them and hit enter. Nothing happened after that. Normally, the D-Link page will pop up and allow me configure router settings. Now it stopped working.

I'm confused.

Hmm not entirely sure about the router setup page not showing. Kinda strange. But as for changing your IP for "B", just goto Your Network and Dial-Up connections and right click on your LAN connection and goto properties. Then goto the properties for TCP/IP and make sure that it is set to Automatically assign from DHCP.

-Mike

mikesgroovin said:
Hmm not entirely sure about the router setup page not showing. Kinda strange. But as for changing your IP for "B", just goto Your Network and Dial-Up connections and right click on your LAN connection and goto properties. Then goto the properties for TCP/IP and make sure that it is set to Automatically assign from DHCP.

-Mike

I went in the property and didn't see that option such as "Automatically assign from DHCP". However, it would allow me to set the IP, subnet and Gateway.

I did so, but my computer still doesn't have access to the internet.

You using Win2000 Server or Pro right?
If so, your settings should look like te attached picture. The top setting is to allow it to be automatically assigned. But here's what I would do:

Goto computer A and goto a command prompt and type
'ipconfig /all'. You'll have an IP address/subnet mask/gateway and 2 DNS servers. Goto you network properties for Computer B and mimic these settings. Except change the IP address to the same first three sets of numbers and make the last one, one digit higher. Then try to connect again.

-Mike

mikesgroovin said:
You using Win2000 Server or Pro right?
If so, your settings should look like te attached picture. The top setting is to allow it to be automatically assigned. But here's what I would do:

Goto computer A and goto a command prompt and type
'ipconfig /all'. You'll have an IP address/subnet mask/gateway and 2 DNS servers. Goto you network properties for Computer B and mimic these settings. Except change the IP address to the same first three sets of numbers and make the last one, one digit higher. Then try to connect again.

-Mike

Yeah, I did that. I copied all the settings from Computer A to Computer B except Computer B IP address is one digit higher than the one in computer A.

It's not working. My firewall tells me "New network has been detected, do you want to add it to the trusted zone?". I clicked "YES"

But computer B still got no internet access. It seems that D-Link is rejecting computer B or something is prevent computer B connect to the D-Link? I also did a spy-bot scan on "B", nothing has been found. Norton anti-V is also running 24/7. Could it this be a security issue? or D-link router is broken partially?

Even through I keep hearing worse and worse things about D-Link, I really don't think that your router is bad or partially bad. Can you ping Computer A from Computer B?

-Mike

mikesgroovin said:
Even through I keep hearing worse and worse things about D-Link, I really don't think that your router is bad or partially bad. Can you ping Computer A from Computer B?

-Mike

I enter "Http://Computer B IP". It returns "The page can't be displayed"

I noticed something in firewall of computer B. The network IP is one digit lower than actual gateway. Do I need to be concern on this issue?

Umm.. I am suspecting that one of my windows update might caused this problem.

I didn't download the complete Windows XP Pro update pack. Instead, I only downloaded and installed IIS Security Patch on my machine (computer B). The window might become unstable after that particular installation. Computer B got kicked out of the network right at when I adding the IP address in IIS 5.1.

This is the only thing I can think of right now. It was all fine until the moment I assigning the IP in IIS 5.1

I might need to reformat my HD again if I'm correct on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom