Crazy wi-fi setup in R-V Park!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeico

Baseband Member
I live in an R-V Park, and use wi-fi here - as pitiful as it is. (Weak signal 3-4 "bars", periodic down-times, disconnects, etc.) The park needs help in providing this free service to residents, and I am not an expert when it comes to wi-fi - or ANY kind of networking.

As it is now, the park manager receives the wi-fi signal via DSL fed into a laptop computer in their office R-V. The laptop reportedly utilizes two routers: one is kept right in the office R-V beside the laptop (primary, from which most residents receive the wi-fi signal), and the secondary router is located in another building 50' away, and hard-wired from the laptop. A separate bridge in that building evidently serves as a secondary access point for the park residents to receive the wi-fi signal with their computers.

Does any of this make any sense?

They have an unused, uninstalled antenna (access point?), but it's not the typical omni-directional, "stick straight up in the air" wi-fi antenna that I have seen in so many R-V parks across the country. The damned thing reminds me of an old SPS-30 antenna we used to have aboard the USS Midway in Viet-Nam! (But smaller, of course.) Installing that curved, directional monstrosity would definitely limit reception and exclude the service to some of the park residents.

This park should not need anything special. It is small - 100 R-V spaces, at best.

How can this be simplified? They've got the DSL signal, and they've got the router. Isn't a good access point (antenna) on the roof all they need? What I need is a wiring diagram, I guess! After deciphering the park's setup here, I need for someone to "clear the cobwebs" from my mind and tell me what they need to buy. Like the access point. Any suggestions?

I'm trying to learn all this stuff - including nomenclature. Is there a website somewhere that will tell me how wi-fi works in detail? What a router is, and what it does? What is the difference between a router and a bridge? What's the difference between an access point, a router, a bridge and an "antenna"? I want to know! I want to know! Ha!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Zeico

Why wouldn't they just run the DSL into a good Wireless router? Maybe I am not understanding why it goes through a laptop to begin with.

That's my my main point of confusion. They have the DSL modem inside the manager's home (R-V) as well as a main router.

They currently have a secondary router inside the clubhouse (hard-wired to the main router) so another computer inside the clubhouse can pick up the signal.

In other words, the signal goes like this (I think):

DSL Internet to DSL modem to Main Router, hard-wired to another router to use for Clubhouse computer. Does that make sense?

Would they need to hard-wire the router to an access point on top of the clubhouse roof because of the distance and obstacles so people in the park can pick up the signal? (100 yds. max., with no trees - just R-V's.) I doubt a typical, good router would get out that far.

The manager has no idea whatsoever how to get this thing right. Your help and advice would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom