Converting signal from 3g modem to router - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 11:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Converting signal from 3g modem to router

It's a very nice program; used it in my college dorm my freshman year on my desktop cuz our rooms only had 1 port, and I couldn't run both my laptop/desktop at the same time.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 08-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Correct me if I am wrong but couldn't you just bridge two connections such as a wired one of a the computer and the 3G modem? Then if you plugged your computer with the 3G modem into a router the computer would pass the Internet connection over into the wired network and from there you could use it normally.

First open up your network connections and hopefully your 3G modem will show up. Right click on it and select properties. There should be something about sharing. Share the Internet connection of the adapter.
Attachment 4829

Then you can bridge the connections. Lets say that Network 4 is your wired network and Wireless Network Connection 2 is your 3G modem. Right click > Bridge.
Attachment 4830

I don't have a 3G modem to test this with but it should work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg share-internet.jpg (57.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg bridge-network.jpg (95.6 KB, 53 views)

Old 08-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestComputerGeek View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but couldn't you just bridge two connections such as a wired one of a the computer and the 3G modem? Then if you plugged your computer with the 3G modem into a router the computer would pass the Internet connection over into the wired network and from there you could use it normally.

First open up your network connections and hopefully your 3G modem will show up. Right click on it and select properties. There should be something about sharing. Share the Internet connection of the adapter.
Attachment 4829

Then you can bridge the connections. Lets say that Network 4 is your wired network and Wireless Network Connection 2 is your 3G modem. Right click > Bridge.
Attachment 4830

I don't have a 3G modem to test this with but it should work.
I am back in the states and can not experiment all these good suggestions but yours is what I had in mind that could be done somehow. Thank you very much. Anymore suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knowitall!

Yes, you could use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). The drawback to ICS (and Connectify too) is that in order for the machines sharing the connection to have access, the main machine must be powered on and be connected. With the broadband router option, any machine can use the connection without depending in any other machine. Of course then the router needs to be powered and connected via the USB 3g device.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks Strollin, that would be no problem with me. My comp only goes off when I travel or when the power goes off. But yes, good input.

Closed Thread