Controlling vehicles over GPRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matej

Beta member
Hello there.
Dunno if this is right thread to write to.
I'd like to ask you about solution for controlling cars over gprs. Here's the thing:

A person owns a 10 cars and want to unlock/lock any or all of them. And if anyone open the car door on any of a cars, it will show up on a computer. This solution should be made over GPRS, each car will have one "GPRS gate" with SIM card configured for GPRS and will communicate with a server - computer. Client then will just open a webbrowser for example. I heard about this somewhere, that someone made it (I googled it), but **** I can't find it anymore. Is anyone of you people familiar with this?

Thanx.

I will thank you for not starting the same topic in multiple areas. It is not needed nor required to do so.

I dont know where you heard of it. But it sounds like a future gadget or something being developed as i have yet to hear of anything like this. I have never heard of being able to control anything with a GPS unit other than where you are going.

I will thank you for not starting the same topic in multiple areas. It is not needed nor required to do so.

I dont know where you heard of it. But it sounds like a future gadget or something being developed as i have yet to hear of anything like this. I have never heard of being able to control anything with a GPS unit other than where you are going.

Sorry for that.

Well you see, nothing can be controlled over GPS :D but GPRS is something else. General Packet Radio Service or GPRS is used for example for internet connection, it can be found in cell phones. GPRS is cheaper than data over UMTS or HSPDA or even EDGE. Sorry for inconvenience, but you said "able to control anything with a GPS" - that is stupid. I'm asking for someone who understand it.

I was talking to FlashDude on the phone one day while I was walking to my car from work and he brought up something similar. He mentioned that they were installing some sort of GPRS controlling device in their work vehicles that allowed them a lot of control. I don't know if it reached the extent on locking and unlocking the vehicles but it sounded pretty wild. Maybe if he reads this he'll enlighten us.

Yes all of this is do-able. The company that we use is Grey Island Grey Island their input/output cable on the modem is 25 pins there are positive and negative outputs/inputs. It is as simple as finding the wire that fires the door locks and piggy backing onto that wire. same thing goes with the output you could fire the output 12volts to actually work the locks or if its a ground triggered circuit you use the Negative out put. Its not cheap.

Sort of, but not exactly. The communication methods are completely different. Distances covered are completely different. And usage availability is also completely different as LoJack is used and secured by the local law enforcement. Sure, its a radio signal and I'm sure that some dude has hacked it living in his mother's basement...

LoJack is strictly tracking while this system running over GPRS seems to have 400% more functionality.

Yes but it uses the Cellular network it triangulates at least 3 towers to give a location. A lot like the iphone and others use. We over lay it on Virtual Earth and it is accurate within a few feet. The name is misleading it is GPS (Global Positioning system) not a GPS (Global Positioning Satellite) system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom