Connection to router drops randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielson

Beta member
Hi new to the forums, merely looking for help with a problem I have with broadband connection. I've moved into a friend's house who's speedtouch wireless system I simply coudl not connect to through my netgear wpn111 adapter. Even bringin the router upstairs to his bedroom just 10ft away from my pc, wireless connection was pathetic. Anyway the router is upstairs via a phone extension lead which we already know doesnt usually work or at least cuts conn speed loads. It happened to work however so I can plug my pc in via cable and his laptop connects wirelessly str8 thru his bedroom floor to the living room underneath. Everything was fine like this when after one day the connection kept dropping literally once every 5 minutes for about 30 seconds, both to my pc and his wirelss laptop. Kept this up for a few days then randomly it will just stop doing it for a day or 2 then start dropping again after that. I know phone extension leads arent meant to be good but surely if that was the problem then the conn drop wud be consistent and not just decide top be 100% fine for certain periods of time? Any help wud be appreciated thanks.

I've never heard of speedtouch so excuse my ignorance of them, but I've had routers do really funny things like that and could never find a solution. I usually chaulk it up to POS equipment and replace the equipment with a known brand. I prefer Linksys (though some people will beg to differ) as I have run one linksys router for 6 years with no issues (very good for a then $75 router imo). I've had routers do what you are having that I trashed, also have had some that started having major DHCP problems across networks. If you can borrow a known working router from a friend and hook that up, give that a shot.

I would pop a different piece of equipment up and see if that fixes your issue. If not then you know it's a problem further back...in which case you need to test the cabling and possibly give your ISP a call.

Hope that helps you a bit!

Hi thanks for the feedback. The router/modem needs to go back downstairs anyway as too much problemage occuring. But we thought would it be possible to run a cable from it into a netgear router that I have, which at the end of the cable will be alot closer to my room where I can possibly connect wirelessly to my usualy router? Does that sound viable?

That will work fine, but you need to go into the settings on your netgear router, and disable DHCP. Only have DHCP enabled on the router that connects to the modem. You will want to run the cable from a LAN port on the speedtouch to a LAN port on the netgear. Do NOT use the WAN port on the Netgear.

Additionally, have you gone into the settings on your NetGear WPN111 adapter and set it to use 802.11G ONLY, and DISABLE the Rangemax MIMO functionality? This could be the source of the trouble you had with the devices.... Products from different vendors that have that 'special crap'.... "speed boost" "rangemax" "Super G", etc. etc. etc. don't work well together.

I dont know whether it's LAN or WAN they will just be connected thru ethernet cable . And I can't see anything in the adapter wizrd about MIMO I just have 108mbps 802.11G and 11mbps 802.11G ticked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom