Connection Detected, Page not displayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

gconway

Solid State Member
I have a sudden problem with my internet connection.
I currently have win XP and DSL connection. When I connect, it displays the connection message and states the speed of connection etc. Trouble is when I open a browser it just says page cannot be displayed no matter what site I try to get to. Also games and other programs which directly access the internet not through a browser do not work.

If I go into cmd and Ping 80, it sends and receives the same amount of data so it seems to be able to connect to the internet.

Can anyone help me get it working again?

It sounds like you are not getting th DNS info. Brady recommended that you run a ipconfig /all, and that is a good idea. It will let us know if your are getting the proper DNS and gateway info that you will need to get online.
Do you have a router?
If you want to use the ping command you need to ping a URL that is real, you can't ping 80, 80 is not a valid ip address. Try to ping www.google.com. or something..

I realize that this post is a little disjointed so bear with me. If you do not have arouter then try creating a new connection for your DSL. You of course will need your username and password. The reason that I say this is because that connection that you see might just be your computer saying that the ethernet card is connected to something.
If you have a router then try taking it out of the picture and connect directly to the modem. You will have to goto control panel>network connections>create a new connection>connect to the internet>setup my connection manually>connect using a broadband connection that requires a username and password> and put in the appropriate information. This will take care of the PPOE connection that DSL uses.
Hopefull some of the crap I wrote here helps.

Logged on again after 3 days of not working and miraculously there was no problems. I have no idea what the problem was.

I am now running several clean up applications as I was having spyware and virus problems before this happened. So hopefully it was something to do with that and by carrying out these operations as instructed in another post it wont happen again.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom