Connecting To A Wireless Network That Is Not Broadcasting Ssid?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

COCOCOOKIE

In Runtime
HELLO EVERYONE! Recently, I've encountered a very weird situation when trying to connect to my wireless network manually with the SSID non-broadcasting. This is the situation:

I have a laptop with a Linksys WUSB54GC usb adapter. I decided to uninstall the "Linksys Wireless Monitor" utility that the wireless adapter comes with and use Windows Wireless Zero Conf. When my wireless router (Linksys WRT54G) is broadcasting the SSID I am able to connect with no problems at all. Now, when I setup the router to SSID non-broadcasting, I have to go into the Properties for the wireless connection and check the "Connect to this wireless network even if is not broadcasting" flag. Also, the flag "Connect when this network is in range" is also checked off. I Apply, OK and nothing....even rebooted several times to no avail. Windows won't connect to it (needless to say that the network key is correct and IS in there) As soon as I enable broadcasting in the wireless router, Windows finds the network and connects to it (sometimes you have to open "View available wireless networks" and click connect and enter the key again, but it connects with no problems)
So, I reinstalled the Linksys utility and, even though the SSID is not broadcasting, I'm able to setup the connection manually (this time using Linksys Wireless Monitor) and connect to my network. I've tried the same usb wireless adapter on a desktop and the exact same situation. Both computers (the laptop and the desktop) have Windows XP Service Pack 3 installed. Now, on the desktop, I have a HAWKING HWPG1 PCI WIRELESS CARD installed and I've experienced the same problem. Furthermore, when I'm using the HAWKING utility, I'm able to see my wireless network (when it's not broadcasting the SSID) but it won't show the name of course, but I can see its MAC address, connectivity link and all that.

My biggest question is: if I can't connect to a non-broadcasting network manually, Why does Windows have that flag "Connect even when this network is not broadcasting"??????

I haven't tried to connect to a different Wireless Router or WAP yet, but I don't think that's the issue.

ANY THOUGHTS OR IDEAS???? ANYBODY HAS EXPERIENCED THE SAME ISSUE??? THANK YOU !!!!

I've had some of the same issues when not broadcasting the SSID. I'm at the point where I broadcast it now because I don't want to wait. I live in a rural community and I know everyone and nobody has the ability or interest to access my stuff anyways.

I wonder if perhaps it is some kind of issue with the firmware on that router. Have you tried to contact Linksys through their website to open a ticket, or checked for other stable firmware revisions?

Hi. I already upgraded the firmware and same thing. Besides, when I'm using the Linksys utility I have no problems. I think it could just be the stupid Windows with another of its annoyances. Thanks!

Linksys Tech Support SUCKS, by the way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom