Connecting PCs through USB confusion.

Agree - if your on a home network, aslong as both are on the same wifi (router) your computers can share folders... just set up a Homegroup :cool:

But also, yes a male USB to male USB can in theory fry your USB ports.. like others have said you need a crossover cable, that allows data to cross back and forth. a normal usb emits power and data one way only.

:cool:

Data one way? Not true. How would the devices be able to communicate then ;).

Unless you're on an N or AC connection, I wouldn't advise transferring large amounts of data over wifi - ethernet would definitely be the way to go.

The easiest and fastest way is to remove the drive with the data and put it in the pc that needs that data. If you adding data to the laptop and you do not have an extra drive bay, then this will not work, If your taking the data from laptops drive, then you only need a sata cable (to transfer data) and rail (to provide power) for the drive. Most power supplied will have an extra rail so you'll just need an extra sata cable

Data one way? Not true. How would the devices be able to communicate then ;).

I was referring to USB ports between two computers sorry, not computer to device.. If you plug that USB into two computers they cannot talk to each other but will still keep trying to send power through both sides of the port.. this can fry the port even worse the mobo.. :cool:

I was referring to USB ports between two computers sorry, not computer to device.. If you plug that USB into two computers they cannot talk to each other but will still keep trying to send power through both sides of the port.. this can fry the port even worse the mobo.. :cool:

Gotcha - I was just referring to the data portion of your post :p.

Back
Top Bottom