Connecting to computer through a Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanLedet

In Runtime
I have a Belkin Wireless-G network set up with a static IP address.

The computers that are connected to the network have their own IP addresses assigned, as expected: 192.168.2.2 and 192.168.2.3, etc. The IP address for the router is something like 24.75.244.251

If I am off the network...at home for example (the network is an office network) and I need to connect to my computer at my office...I would need to do it via port, right?

So, I would need to go to something like 24.75.244.251:255 and :255 would be the port for 192.168.2.3...am I on the right track?

If so...in my router interface, do I go to Virtual Servers? This then gives me the option of putting in an Inbound Port, a Private IP and Private Port..but i'm not quite sure what needs to go into those areas.

thanks for the help!!!

You would need UltraVNC or gotomypc.com to connect from home to work.

Yes, you would need some kind of software running on your computer at the office..... (before you do that, it would be HIGHLY advisable to speak with the IT Dept. first..... Installing software in that manner could be a 'resume generating event' if you catch my drift)....

Aside from that.... Lets say you have a specific need for connecting to your PC at your work. Maybe it is a webserver running on the PC, or maybe an FTP server. You would have to go to your router, and configure it such that incoming requests on port XXX get forwarded to IP address 192.168.2.X. I have both an FTP server & a web server on my Network storage box at home... I have ports 20, 21, and 80 forwarded to that network box for FTP & HTTP.

LOL I am the "IT guy"...we're a small company...and basically what's happening right now is we have about 15 static IP addresses (which is expensive). Everyone is connected to a Switch...but I think a Router with one IP address using Ports is the better option. A few of the computers are set up as Web servers..so simply typing in their IP address into a browser will bring up their computer

So, if you type in 24.75.244.251 you get Computer A and if you type in 24.75.244.252 you get Computer B.

I need to make it so that if you type in 24.75.244.251:100 you get computer A and if you type in 24.75.244.251:101 you get computer B.

I hope that makes sense :)

So basically you're trying to only lease one ip, but run multiple servers off it? Quick question: who can access the web servers? e.g. just your company, or everyone on the internet.
If you have a switch and a router now, you can setup multiple subinterfaces on the router, configured to route to different vlans on the switch.
That way you'd only need to lease one IP, for the connection from the router to the rest of the internets.

So basically you're trying to only lease one ip, but run multiple servers off it?
Yes, sort of...
Quick question: who can access the web servers? e.g. just your company, or everyone on the internet.
The computers are set up as Web servers and are accessible to anyone that knows the address. That being said, very few know the address. It is not a full production server. It is simply a folder that we drop files into and our clients visit and download the files from. It's not anything that attracts viewers.

If you have a switch and a router now, you can setup multiple subinterfaces on the router, configured to route to different vlans on the switch.
That way you'd only need to lease one IP, for the connection from the router to the rest of the internets.
Sounds like what I'm trying to do. We have a Switch right now, but we're trying to add a router to the mix to make all this happen, and so we can get rid of all of these IP addresses.

what you will do is port forwarding.. you will set up ur router to enable port forwarding and your router must be NAT enable..
ex:
you will forward port 80 to run an HTTP web server
and port 21 to run FTP

If you've got file sharing enabled you could try to connect to it on 139, but you probably know that. :p

We just have a regular ol' switch...we just had someone come in here and mention a Smart Switch.... would that do what i'm after?

It isn't just File Sharing that we need...it's remote desktop too. If I type in one IP, it takes me straight to the computer I need to be at...but If we have two computers on an Internal network (192.168.2.2 and 192.168.2.3), then how do I get to each computer from an external network (home)? if my static IP address is 24.75.244.251 for the internet, would I set up a port on the Smart Switch to forward to 192.168.2.2?

By smart switch do you mean a multi-layer switch? Basically that's just a combo of a Router and a Switch. So, depending on what you set up (e.g. a vnc connection) yes it would work fine. That would be just so you could access the network from home though. optislack had a good idea about port forwarding, that should work well for your other web server problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom