Computers on router have same ip

Status
Not open for further replies.

gloomer

In Runtime
Yeah we have a dlink 604 router and it has two macs and one pc (me) plugged into it.

I dug up an old windows 98 box and want to experiment on it.

But when I went to whatismyip.com I found out the windows 98 had the same external ip address as my winxp. It had a different internal ip but same external.

Now that is just no good. How would I easily change the external ip to be something different?

That's what it is supposed to do. Routers are a means of connecting 2 different networks together. There is the external network (from your ISP), and your internal one.

Yeah I checked and I found out that all 4 computers two macs and two pcs all have the same ip.

The question is if I attacked my windows 98 from my windows xp, would i hit myself or any of the macs? It's kind of hard to specify exactly which computer on the network to hit without hitting all of them.

I think you should have a look at this.

The computers in your internal network do not have the same IP address. The router has an external IP address from your ISP. The internal computers talk to the router, and the router forwards their data onto the external side, simply put.

Yeah i was just thinking that. So if i wanted to exploit the windows 98 which is inside the network I would use it's internal ip.

I haven't had my coffee yet give me a break :p

Thanks for the reply anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom