CMD Net View Shows Another Computer On my Network

scubadivingpoop

Solid State Member
So i recently started to use "net view" at random times of the day to see if someone is using my internet. I notice that there was a POWER-PC that shows up everytime i do the command. But for some reason it only happens when i do it on my Desktop. which is named Admin-PC but when i try net view on my laptop (wireless connection) it doesnt show up.

Right now i should be the only one online. What the hell is this POWER-PC thing that keeps showing up. It only seems to happen when i use my desktop. Is it a virus?

Log into your router and there should be a "View attached devices" or "View connected devices" or something like that.

I'm using a linksys router and the only admin features that are on there are

1. Management (changes password)
  2. Log
  3. Diagnostics
  4. Factory Defaults
  5. Firmware Upgrade
  6. Config Management

I just enabled Log on but it doesn't show anything when i try to view incoming - outgoing

What model of Linksys router are you using? There should be a lot more options than that...

If you're wondering who he connected a wireless modem line, start / run / pull-down menu Type "cmd" press Enter, type net view pop-up screen, press enter, depending on who is in your network see.

OK on local network tab under "Status" there is a DHCP Clients Table. It seems to show a list of Clicent Host Names, IP and Mac Address. There is one that i dont recognize, should i delete it off the list?

OK on local network tab under "Status" there is a DHCP Clients Table. It seems to show a list of Clicent Host Names, IP and Mac Address. There is one that i dont recognize, should i delete it off the list?
Deleting it might not do anything though, your router will probably just give it another ip address.
I would give this "POWER-PC" a static address so it can't change ip's on you, and then deny it's MAC address internet access under the Access Restrictions=>Internet Access tab. Then see what happens, it may turn around to be a device you were using but haven't realized it yet.
It's worth a shot though.

...or just setup MAC filtering on your router, so you have to add the MAC addresses of your devices into your router's config in order to have network access. That'll get rid of the problem.

Back
Top Bottom