certain websites times out on my network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clever_j

In Runtime
I've setup an ICS host on an XP unit..

internet is being routed with no problem. internet connection is stable..however, some websites like yahoo's mail page times out..

i've turned off any protection on the server..still can't seem to get yahoo mail to work.. and lots of other websites..

been having this problem for the longest time. i thought it was situational.. this is the 5th LAN i've setup having the same problem when using a computer as an ICS.. using a router gets rid of the problem.. but whats causing this?

tea

it happens on ALL browsers sir.. it's not an IE settings i dotn think.. if i connect via router, it works, but if i connect via xp machine running as ICH.. it doesnt work..

ICS HOST (internet connection sharing host)

not only yahoo,but other websites as well.. cant really find a pattern.. except for mail services like yahoo, hotmail and daum.net

Thats really weird... Im not sure if an ICS server will allow outbound transfers like that... ICS kinda seems like it should be tucked away in server room or something. Have you ever heard of another ICS being used as a browsing machine ?

Just kinda seems like an ICS wouldn't be used for this such thing.
just a thought

clever_j said:
I've setup an ICS host on an XP unit..

internet is being routed with no problem. internet connection is stable..however, some websites like yahoo's mail page times out..

i've turned off any protection on the server..still can't seem to get yahoo mail to work.. and lots of other websites..

been having this problem for the longest time. i thought it was situational.. this is the 5th LAN i've setup having the same problem when using a computer as an ICS.. using a router gets rid of the problem.. but whats causing this?

tea
Do you have javascript enabled?

Thats really weird... Im not sure if an ICS server will allow outbound transfers like that... ICS kinda seems like it should be tucked away in server room or something. Have you ever heard of another ICS being used as a browsing machine ?

Just kinda seems like an ICS wouldn't be used for this such thing.
just a thought

it's simple mate.. instead of using a broadband router, you use computer to rout internet connection..

COMPUTER 1 (ICS HOST)
XP OS
2 NICs
NIC 1 = connected to the DSL modem - (Dynamic IP from ISP)
NIC 2 = connected to the switch/hub - 192.168.0.1

NIC 2 is setup to share internet connected.. turned off firewall to make sure it's not causing the problem

Computer 2-4 (client pcs) (192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.4)
XP OS
1 NIC = connected to the hub...
= set gateway to ICS IP (192.168.0.1)

DONE.

Btw... Does it ever give you an error on page ?
no error.. just times out.. like when you go to mail.yahoo.com for example, it seems to load it as you see the status bar of IE show progress to about HALF... then it's stuck there.. till it times out..

Do you have javascript enabled?
yes.. again, THE PROBLEM DOES NOT EXIST when connecting the client PCs to the DSL modem and having them connect directly.. but if it goes through the ICS some websites work and some dont..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom