cant get filesharing working

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxkrnxstylezxx

In Runtime
Ok so I have a desktop with cable with a Linksys WRT54G router...internet works fine....and i have a new laptop(centrino) with built in wireless card....the wireless card found the router and connected and internet works fine (a bit slow)....but how do i share files? Ive done it with my other laptop with the Linksys network card (i forgot how, it took alot of tries to but it worked), but everything i try with this seems like it doesnt work.....the laptop doesnt see my desktop or the desktop doesnt see my laptop....i pressed "View workgroup computers" and on the laptop, it shows both of the computer, but when i try to connect to the desktop, it says "\\[my desktop] is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found"....on this desktop, when i try to view the workgroup thing, it tries for a while, but it wont let me "Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available"...and sometimes, its the other way around(desktop sees it, but laptop doesnt).......i think i currently have them both in MSHOME...i tried to put in something else but it wouldnt work.....ive done lots of things and some of em just disconnect me from the internet and im confused....can it be this hard to share files between 2 computers?? i even tried with my firewall off....i forgot how to do this...is there like a guide on how to do this?? i mean the internet works fine on both so shouldnt file sharing work too?? can someone please help me? thx alot

This can actually be a complicated process, but I think that we can do this fairly easily. If you have both of them up go to <My Computer> and click on the <Computer Name> tab. This will tell you what the computers' description is and what network group that it is apart of. The first step to sharing files is to make sure that you are on the same workgroup. Confirm this and change if necessary. If they are on the same workgroup, but still do not share go onto this step. Next you are going to want to make sure that neither of them have their firewalls up. While this can be a concern to put them down due to making you vulnerable to hackers and the such from the Internet, you will be ok if you have Nortan Anti-Virus or something similar. In my personal opinion the Windows Firewall isn't worth jack, but anyway. To turn off the firewall go to <My Network Places> and click on the <View Network Connections> icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Right click on the connection you use and click on <Properties>. In this new window click the <Advanced> tab. If the box is checked you have your firewall up. Unclick it for this excercise. You can always go back and change it. Now try. If it still dosen't work you are going to want to make sure that you are able to share files. When establishing a connection to another computer or network it will ask you if you would like to keep your files private. Check <No> and then finish the wizard when you come to this. Try these and post back if you still cannot share files. Hang in there.

I meant to post this put forgot. To also share all the contents on your harrdrive go to <My Computer> and right click on the C: drive. You should be able to click <Sharing and Security...> from the list. In there you should make sure that the <Make this computer private> box is not checked.

hmmm.....i tried most of this already....and i tried all this again...and it still doesnt work....argh....but heres seomthing i dont get...you said

"Check <No> and then finish the wizard when you come to this."

I wasnt in any wizard...i just pressed OK

but thx for helping

I think the problem is that your machine doesn't want to send NetBios traffic. If you get the IP from the machine and put in the IP instead of the machine name, you should be able to find it.
Also, depending on the OS, try to hit the admin share. It's on NT, 2k and XP. the share is for any harddrive, and all you need to type is \\machine name(IP)\c(or whatever drive)$
Just like another folder...

Go to your desktop, click start, click Run, type "cmd", click OK, type "ipconfig /all" and then hit return.

Record the IP address you see, it will probably be 192.168.x.x.

Now go to your laptop click start, click Run, type "\\192.168.x.x" (where 192.168.x.x is your desktop's ip address), and hit return.

What do you see? Explorer open with our without folders? An error? If an error please state what it is.

Also if you get an error, click Run, type "cmd", click OK, type type "ping 192.168.x.x" (where 192.168.x.x is your desktop's ip address), and hit return. Did you get replies? if not what do you get?

it says "\\192.168.x.x(<-my ip) The network path was not found"

and on the ping thing....it says

"Pinging 192.168.1.100 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.x.x(already put in my IP):
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 <100% loss>,"

yes....and still the internet works fine

Status
Not open for further replies.